Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Q&A: Isaac M. Hamm III - Honoring the Sound of Philadelphia





Isaac M. Hamm III with Dyana Williams, co-founder of Black Music Month and the 2010 recepient of the Profile in Excellence and Innovation Lifetime Achievement Award at The Comeback - "Philly Style".

HHM would like to introduce you to someone you need to know. Meet Isaac M. Hamm, CEO of IM3 Media and the creative force behind Hidden Soul Wednesdays and The Comeback "Philly Style", an event that celebrates the legacy of Philadelphia's Black music scene by honoring and showcasing past, present, and future stars. This year's honorees include legendary musical icons Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, media personality and hip hop trailblazer Lady B, and a true community change agent Congressman Chaka Fattah.


HHM: Tell us about your company IM3 Media.

Isaac: IM3Media is a Philadelphia-based marketing and communications company that offers an array of services which include event design, brand management, public relations and consulting. IM3Media was formed June of last year. We make sure we develop and implement an effective marketing strategy through integration of creative event design and production management.


HHM: Explain some of the challenges you've faced as a young entrepreneur.

Isaac: There are so many to choose from *laughs. I have been doing this for 11 years and each day there is something new. One big challenge is making non-believers into believers. I’m young but I bring something different to putting events together and how I do my marketing. There were many great promoters way before I came around so I am still paying my dues. But I can handle it *laughs.

HHM: What inspired you to produce The Comeback Philly Style?

Isaac: Oh my gosh (smile). When I first met Ms. Dyana Williams (co-founder of Black Music Month). She spoke at an event and I realized we need to honor Black Music Month right HERE in the city of which it was founded. Because I have been hosting a 5 year running event called Hidden Soul Wednesdays, I knew if I take the same concept and add honorees I would have a successful event. But The ComeBack “Philly Style” came to me in a dream and I woke up and started writing. I think it was 3am when I started writing out my ideas. What people may not know is I made this event happen in 9 weeks.

HHM: Many professionals in the entertainment industry describe Philly as a tough city to make your mark in. There is also a general consensus that Philly suffers from the "crabs in a barrel" complex in terms of supporting new talent or ventures. What has been your experience having spent years providing a platform for new artists?

Isaac: It has been hard because every time you turn around somebody is doing an event similar to yours. But I’ve learned over the years how not to worry about that. I have been doing this for 11 years so nothing really surprises me. Hidden Soul Wednesdays runs itself now so my audience knows where to find good music *laughs. Providing the platform has always been easy, but building the trust is the hard part.

HHM: Did you ever consider leaving Philly?

Isaac: Yes and No. I want to travel and stay places for a period of time but not become a resident. I LOVE MY CITY! And now with me starting The ComeBack’s annual event, I can’t leave. The sad part is when people leave Philly, Philly leaves them. It’s a sad thing but Philly is a HARD City.

HHM: Which Hip Hop Mogul has inspired you the most and why?

Isaac: Puff Daddy or Sean 'P Diddy' Combs. Whatever he is going by today. His work ethic is crazy and I see a little of me in the way he runs his business. I was watching VH1’s Behind The Music and Diddy said when he would dance he always wondered who those people were behind the camera with the watches and suits on. And that’s how I look at things. How can I get to what that person is doing? Not to copy their formula but how can I develop my own.

HHM: Which music artists are you feeling at the moment?

Isaac: Locally – Rosie Bondz, Treena Ferebee, JLawrence, Ron Draper and there is a group called Vent who are dope too!
 
 
The Comeback  "Philly Style" will be held on Friday, June 24th, 2011 at 7pm at The New Freedom Theatre, 1346 N. Broad Street. Tickets are $25 general admission, $50 VIP seating, click here to purchase.