Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Q&A: Key City Vintage 'Classic Americana'



HHM likes to shine the spotlight on entrepreneurs doing the damn thing. Sam Gold, a Dallas based graphic designer, has turned his love of old school men's sportswear into an online boutique stocked with vintage Ralph Lauren Polo hats, backpacks, shirts, sweaters, even the iconic teddies. Key City also has on hand classic sports merchandise snapbacks, jerseys, that will never be played out (think throwback jerseys a couple of years ago). Key City has those items you probably always wanted in your closet.

What is the inspiration behind Key City Vintage?
Key City Vintage is just an extension of the KYC collective which is a group of musicians and artists. We're all about doing what we love and trying to find creative ways to do it and for me I am a fan of RL (Ralph Lauren) and vintage clothing in general.


When did you start collecting vintage Ralph Lauren Polo?
I started really in high school. At first I did not to the extent of Polo, I just really liked the brand. My friend kind of got me into the vintage Polo thing like 2 years ago.


Why do you think the Ralph Lauren brand is so iconic in terms of streetwear?
I think its because RL is great quality, and it can be worn so many different ways. For the urban/streetwear kids, I think a lot of it has to do with color schemes and graphics that certain pieces have, the reds, blues and yellows of the 90's Polo kind of capture a lot of the retro style people are trying to rock.


How long is a typical shopping trip to find pieces for the website?
*Laughs* Pretty much when I’m not at the day job I’m looking around. Its honestly a ton of fun for me, a lot of gas though.


Do you have a Hip Hop mogul or general business mogul that you look up to for inspiration and why?
I was talking to a friend the other day and we were talking about how its cool watching Dame Dash kinda re-invent himself and adapt to the new way of hip hop, so I guess I would say him.


Which music artists are you feeling right now?
 Hmmm, gotta love the old school hip hop, Big L, Wu, but as far as new acts, Dom Kennedy’s chill.


Make sure you check out Key City Vintage at keycityvintage.blogspot.com follow the Key City movement at http://www.keycitycrew.com/ and on Twitter @keycity.