Pages

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Remembering Eddie Griffin (May 30, 1982 – August 17, 2007)

I realized today that this week marks 3 years since Eddie Griffin's passing. I found a great tribute clip.


In case you are unfamiliar with his story, Eddie Griffin was a promising basketball star, he spent the last 3 of his NBA seasons with the Timberwolves. On August 17th, 2007, Eddie's SUV collided with a freight train, his blood alcohol was said to be three times above the legal limit. He was just 25 years old. I didn't know Eddie but I knew of him from my neighborhood where I grew up in Philly. He was a standout star in high school and was projected to be the next Kobe Bryant (He went to Seton Hall for a year before entering the NBA). Sadly, there have been so many tragedies that have followed in the sports world, Sean Taylor, in November 2007, and the most recent being Steve McNair in 2009 and Lorenzen Wright this past July 2010.

Read: Promise unfulfilled: Off-court troubles overwhelmed Griffin's big talent