Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

[books] Malice’s Wretched, Pitiful, Poor, Blind & Naked


Originally I thought I was going to sit here and write a review, but I think a book like this doesn't require a critique. I think a recommendation is worthy enough. So here is my two cents.

I've read a lot of memoirs, autobiographies, and biographies over the years and Wretched...has to be the most authentic. It definitely had me feeling like I was watching an episode of "Unsung" on TVOne. I've been anticipating this book since it was mentioned in 2009 and watching the videos that lead up to its release last month. As soon as it arrived on my doorstep, I cracked it open and couldn't put it down. I heard other people say this as well. It took me about 5 hours to read, but that is with interruptions, cooking dinner, etc. Trust me I was peeved everytime the phone rang, lol.

Malice talks about his life growing up in the Bronx before moving to Virginia Beach, his stint as a drug dealer before he turned to rapping, and his battle with a mysterious illness that led him to examine his life and ultimately turn it over to God. Now don't get that last statement wrong, Malice doesn't use a preachy tone nor is he trying to convert you. But your perspective will change on a number of things after reading this book. He tells the story of his ups and downs of being a recording artist without being bitter, which I found refreshing and admirable. Now I won't go into details because I really want you to read the book.

You may have thought you knew the reason why Hell Hath No Fury took almost 4 years to drop, but Malice tells a different story that also makes this book worth checking out. Yes he talks briefly about Pharrell, and a few other industry people are mentioned in stories, but this book is a personal story about Gene Thornton.

In my younger days when I thought fame equaled fortune, I thought a group like the Clipse were multi-millionaires. I have since learned that is not the case and for those of you that still believe or think that rapping or producing means you'll live this lavish lifestyle for the rest of your life without putting forth any effort besides getting in the studio, you will learn from this.

So just to rap this up, I highly recommend the book to those of you who are Clipse fans, to those with aspirations of being in the entertainment industry, and even those who are not. Its a great book about the trial and tribulations of life that we will all face at some point. To purchase the book visit, http://thorn10publishing.bigcartel.com/