Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Vibe Magazine 1993-2009: End of an Era

I remember borrowing my first Vibe Magazine from my friend in 9th grade so I could read an exclusive interview with Jodeci back in 1994. I was hooked from that moment on. The lastest issue of Vibe was a hot commodity so if someone happened to see it in your bookbag (sidebar: Vibes were wide as hell and couldn't fit perfectly so you could never really hide it) you knew they were going to ask to read it and give back to you by lunch time, in another period, at your locker, or hold it overnight. I was a subscriber from 1995-2005. Orignally because they were hard to find on the newsstands. My favorite years had to be from 1993-2002, I know I wish they would stop coming after a while. It lasted that long by default. I subscribed to Blaze, which was Vibe's answer to The Source, but that folded under a year and I got comped. But Vibe played a major role in how I got my entertainment news and info on the industry.

Its a shame it had to end like this but we're in a midst of a transition. Its a sign of the times. Vibe lost me years ago and I never see young kids browsing through the magazine section like I used to do as a teen and still do out of routine. I love magazines, the layout, the artwork, the photography, these things don't fully come alive for me on a computer screen. This is the same reason why I still refuse IPods & itunes and stick to CDs and my dinosaur of a discman (I do have an MP3 player). I need to know that something is still within my hands. That it is really there and no virus, crash or some other crap beyond my control can keep me from it.