Pages

Friday, June 29, 2007

Let's Talk Diversity : Race and Gender

As of yesterday, the Supreme Court overturned "Brown v. Board of Education". The Supreme Court's decision yesterday said that taking students' race into account when assigning them to particular schools violates Constitutional guarantees of equal protection.

But wasn't the Constitution in effect while slavery, Jim Crow and segregation in existence?

Its funny the NAACP wants to symbolically bury the N-word. But "nigga" isn't the problem. Its the "nigger" treatment we are forced to endure with rulings like this.

I wish it was that easy and that racism were a thing of the past. But its not. And how is an organization that still uses the word "colored" leading such a protest?

All this talk about hip hop's influence and town hall meetings with Oprah, and no one was addressing the real issue. Who even knew that this was on the table? We were so caught up in all this Don Imus hype and the very ruling that allowed many Blacks to attend better schools and even get into Rutgers University was at risk.

How will this ruling begin to effect higher education and affirmative action?


Another situation I want to tackle is a bit more personal. I'm having a career issue at the moment. I feel like I'm being discriminated against because I am a woman who knows my shit, lol. When it comes to sports and entertainment, I know my shit. My "dream job" is to be NBA Commissioner. I've always looked up to David Stern. Again I say "dream job" because not saying it can't happen but I am a woman playing in a man's game and its not but so many doors that will open for you. Plus I got a year-round tan, so 2 strikes. But hey you never know. It can happen. But if I knew at 18 years old, what I know now, I probably would have studied nursing.

But the problem I have encountered in talking with men, is that once they find out how well versed I am in sports, not just in stats and scores, but business, there's this intimidation factor that comes into play. I've encountered this personally and professionally while working for others, but never with my own business. Its a crazy situation I don't want to get into, but I just want people who are reading this to know: STEP YOUR GAME UP.

Its really time to we do away with the stereotypes we place on ourselves and others. And we need to address the real issues that exist in our society that really take a toll on our lives. We need to stop acting like they don't exist and or that they will just go away on their own.

Racism is something deeper, but sexism is really just a hang up that comes from you feeling inadequate and having a low self esteem. All these single mothers out here and men have the nerve to still be sexist. I don't get it. What's up with that?

If we're going to discriminate, let's discriminate against this type of stupidity.

But that's the HHM Friday Soundoff. Let me know what you think!

Oh yeah, Hillary 2008....